Filipino Street Food Challenge: Eating Balut and Kwek Kwek at Plaza Miranda

After eating at Kamayan, I took my Malaysian blogger friend to Plaza Miranda, which is in front of Quiapo Church. I took him there because I know that it is the place for Filipino street foods. My friend wanted to taste kwek kwek and balot.
.
Quiapo Church
Quiapo Church

I hope you remember my previous post about kwek kwek. In Quiapo, we tried the balot kwek kwek and the penoy kwek kwek. I thought that my friend will never finish his kwek kwek and he will throw up. For those who do not know, balot (or balut) is a fertilized duck or chicken egg with nearly formed embryo that is boiled and eaten from its shell. Penoy, on the other hand, are duck or chicken eggs that are developed after 9 or 12 days. Penoy is also eaten like a balot, but the "scary" embryo is not there.
.
Kwek Kwek
Recycled photo of Kwek kwek.

Well, my friend managed to eat kwek kwek and he said that he like it. Kwek kwek costs 10 pesos per piece.

After that, we looked for a balot vendor. You know what? My friend did not gross out. He easily gobbled the balot.
.
Balut
This is balot (a.k.a. balut)

Well, my friend is brave, unlike my friends from America who can't even finish half of balot.

---

Image of balot taken from Cebu-food.com. Information about balot and penoy taken from Wikipedia.
.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

31 comments:

  1. Hahaha!! Now you know panda can eat anything, not just bamboo! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't say I enjoy eating them though, but it's a good first experience for me and I don't mind eating them again! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I can still remember the crunchiness of the beak! Thanks my friend for bringing me to eat the kwek kwek and balot! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! Foong told us that he ate this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh! i dnt think i will eat this! :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohmy! lucky i had my lunch already jz now if not sure no appetite to eat dy after looked at this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sarap naman nyan, nakakamiss tuloy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Foong:

    Congratulations for being first. ^_^

    Yeah, now I know that Pandas are also carnivores. I hope that Pandas don't eat humans too.

    Ah...the crunchiness. ^_^

    You are welcome Foong. Next time that you visit here, I will let you eat another balot so that you will taste the crunchiness of this unique Filipino street food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Caroline:

    Oh! Sorry, I almost make you lost your appetite.

    Aha! So Foong already told you about this. Did he challenged you to eat this if you visit the Philippines?

    Don't you want to taste the crunch?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @LordCM:

    Sana may balot din d'yan sa Palau.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Malaysians have their own street food too, don't they? Maybe that's why your friend wasn't so finicky. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mariel:

    Yes, they have their own street foods but it is the first that he saw a balot. But he doesn't mind how the balot look like, he just gobbled it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...Foong ate balot... so brave of him.... woohoo cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. anyway i love balot too... and kwek kwek...

    ReplyDelete
  15. THE HELL! talagang pinicturan mo ba ung kawawang sisiw na halos buo na. shhheeeeett! yan ang isang malaking dahilan ko bakit hindi ko makain-kain yang sisiw. Kawawa oh. tsk! hahahaha

    oo alam ko ng maarte ako... you don't have to tell me pero.... iihhh... grabehan! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. i haven't tried the balot kwek kwek and penoy kwek kwek. pugo kwek kwek pa lang and aylaykdemberimats!!!! hihi

    kinakain ko lang sa balot yung yellow tsaka sabaw :) kawawa yung sisiw :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Blue:

    I am glad that you also like balot. Balot is not that hard to eat. It is yummy and, allegedle, it makes your knees strong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Tine:

    Uy, wag mo ako sisihin sa picture n'yan. Di ako kumuha n'yan. Sa Wikipedia galing yung pic ng balot ano.

    Sisihin mo si Wikipedia...LOLs!

    Alam ko na, kapag magpapalibre ka sa akin, ililibre kita ng balot, I am sure aayawan mo. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Sikoletlover:

    At talagang naawa sa sisiw ah. Dapat kinain mo na rin, kasi luto na eh...hindi na babalik life niya.

    ReplyDelete
  20. can i just say wow?, ang ganda nung picture nung balot ah!, as in sisiw yun kuya ah!, ahahahahaha, kumakain ako ng balot maliban na nga lang sa sisiw tatakot ako eh pareho kami ni sekitsolover!! :yung lang din kinakain ko lalo na yung hard part ng balot! :)

    masarap ang street foods sobra!, sana makapunta din ako jan food tripping lang with my girl, though nakapunta na ko near sa quiapo pero yung sumadya lang talag eh hindi ko pa nagagawa!

    manduruko is the word!, haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Steve:

    Hindi sa akin yang photo ng balot. Kinuha ko lang yan kay Wikipedia. :-P

    Ikaw naman. Kung maingat ka sa Quiapo ay hindi ka naman madudukutan. Ako ilang bese na dumadaan sa Quiapo eh hindi pa ako nadadale d'yan kahit kailan.

    Malapit na Valentine's ah, try mo balot ang pagsaluhan n'yo sa date n'yo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uy streetfoods! yum yum! hehehehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  23. masarap nga ang balot..dito tag 15 pesos na ang isa..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oo nga boss Arvin. Pati balot damay sa taas presyo. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.