Chinese New Year in Binondo Chinatown

I can't resist going to Chinatown in Binondo, Manila to see the Chinese New Year celebration. The last time I visited Chinatown for the New Year celebration is in 2009. The Chinese New Year is the most joyous feast in Binondo and many people, tourists, and non-Chinese like me visit Binondo Chinatown to see what’s happening.

Ongpin Street, which is the main street of Binondo Chinatown, is well decorated. You will see that the Filipino-Chinese loves their New Year celebration.
.

Entering Binondo Chinatown, you will be welcomed by this arch:
.

Like the usual, Chinese New Year in Binondo is jubilant and noisy. Lion dancers were on Ongpin Street and visiting various establishments in Binondo Chinatown. Store owners let the lions in for good luck.
.

There is also the fabled dragon carried by dragon dancers. The dragon kept on chasing a ball, which represents the moon.
.

Chinese New Year in Binondo is not only about Chinese elements taking the center stage. I saw this big cross along Ongpin Street where Binondo Chinatown residents and visitors light josh sticks and say a prayer in front of the cross. Quite a blending of Catholic and Chinese elements in Binondo Chinatown. 
.

While I am walking along Ongpin Street, I saw a clump of people watching lion and dragon dancers dance in front of a certain restaurant. I saw these people preparing firecrackers:
.

After the firecrackers, the lion dancers and dragon dancers continued their dance.
.
.

I guess Charlie’s Tea House will have good luck for 2011.
.

Hmmm...I saw this inside the tea house:
.

Looks delicious! Maybe I will try eating at Charlie’s Tea House in the future.

Of course, good luck charms are selling like pancakes on the streets of Binondo Chinatown.
.

I don't believe in good luck charms so I didn't bother buying one. The popular good luck charms are the ones depicting a rabbit, which is very suitable for the year of the metal rabbit.
.
Porcelain rabbits for 30 pesos apiece.

I walked along Ongpin Street until I reached the other gate of Binondo Chinatown and this lion statue said, "good bye."

---

Visit Ahab Reviews and Tips and read how to reach the new location of Consular Affairs Office when you applying for a Philippine passport.
.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

22 comments:

  1. salamat dito para na rin akong nakarating sa mga pictures mo. di rin ako naniniwala sa mga lucky charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bluedreamer:

    Oo naman. Talagang masaya, lalo na yung mga nakatanggap ng ampao. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diamond:

    Salamat po sir Diamond. :-) Sana next time eh talagang kasali na kayo sa piyesta ng mga Chinoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nakakatuwang panooring yang dragon dance na yan. Naku bigla ko na miss ang mga pagkain dyan sa binondo chinatown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Chinese New Year to the Filipino-Chinese in Binondo! I am in CNY mood right now! Enjoying my holidays till next week! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! First time I see joss sticks lighting in front of a cross! My, what a blend of religion and culture! But not too surprising for me since I am a "new age" Christian. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, you should go try the food at Charlie's Tea House and tell me nice or not! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never personally seen a chinese new year celebration, thank you for sharing, ish. it's as if i was there with your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anney:

    Na-miss mo ba? Bisita ka uli sa Binondo upang iyo muling matikman ang sarap ng Chinese foods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Foong:

    Yeah, I will eat there so if you come back here you will know if you know if it is a good place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Claire:

    You are welcome ate. Next Chinese New Year eh bumisita ka naman sa Binondo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post - this is really interesting.

    Believe it or not, I have not seen a dragon dance for a long time... Would have to go to town and watch the parade or procession for that.

    Lion dances a lot - they are invited to go from house to house to perform so as to bring good luck - some of my rich members, not me...I'm a poor man, no need. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah...those streaks of red coloured pork are char sio (or char siew in Cantonese) andin siopao, you're supposed to have that kind of meat inside. The roast duck looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww. I have never experienced a "real" Chinese new year yet! Well, except for eating Tikoy siguro. Hehe. Kung Hei Fat Choy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. @STP:

    Really? So you never saw any dragon for many New Year in the past. Hehe...so only the rich neighbors get the good luck? Maybe you need to let them in your house so that you can also get good luck.

    So, that is char sio! I will definitely taste it and write about it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Alps:

    Thanks Alps. I will also be eating tikoy this day. :-P

    Belated Chinese New Year treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. magandang tingnan ang mga dragon dance..belated happy chinese new year sa mga tsinoy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, boss Arvs.

    Belated happy New Year sa kanila. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Try Toho. We've been eating there for years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time kong narinig ang Toho. Will try that minsan kapag kumain kami sa Binondo.

      Delete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.