I Cooked Tinolang Bangus

.
This Sunday, My Beloved Wife asked me to cook for lunch. She requested that I cook a dish that is masabaw (soupy). I suggested sopas, nilagang baboy (boiled pork), sinigang, fish paksiw, but she didn’t want any of it. In the end, she said that she wanted tolang (or tinolang) bangus.

When I was in Davao for the first time, a friend said that we’ll be eating tinola for dinner. I expected that I’ll be eating chicken but what I got is fish. For the Tagalogs, tinola means tinolang manok. I didn’t expect that the Visayans also use fish for their tinola.

Now, let’s cook tinolang bangus. Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients for tinolang bangus


Kamatis (tomatoes)
Medium-sized bangus (milkfish)
Hugas bigas
Sibuyas (onion)
Luya (ginger)
Malunggay
Salt

How I “Cooked” Tinolang Bangus


1. Remove the malunggay leaves from the stalk. This is the most boring part of this cookery. I suggest that you watch the conyo teens (YouTube video below) while doing this.

.
2. Slice the kamatis and sibuyas into four. 3. Slice bangus into 4 pieces. (Tip: you can ask the vendor to do this when you buy the bangus). 4. Pour the hugas bigas into the pot. Place the bangus, sibuyas, and kamatis. Bring the mixture to boil. 5. Place the luya when the mixture started to boil.
.
Simmering tinolang bangus
.
6. Let it simmer for a while. Add water if you notice if most of the hugas bigas had evaporated. 7. Place the salt according to your taste. 8. Place the malunggay leaves and leave it simmering for a minute. Voila! Now my tinolang bangus is done.
.
Tinolang Bangus
.
I admit that I didn’t cook this dish alone. My Beloved Wife assisted me. Well, she’s a better cook than me.

Come, let’s eat.

---

You finished reading a Foodie Sunday post. This a blog post series where I post about our foodie adventures. Expect to read about food; from homecook meals. to street food. to fine dining, to fast food, even the weird edible things.
.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder what the leaves taste like. Sweet? Look like a popular veg we have here but we tear them into bits before cooking to bring out the sweetness.

    I think I had something like this at the Filipino restaurant I went to recently...but with baboy, not bangus. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're talking about the sinigang na baboy. That is more popular than this dish.

      The leaves is actually bitter so I am not sure if it is the same as what you have at your place.

      Delete
  2. This is a good option for another soupy bangus dish. We usually cook sinigang sa bayabas, sinigang sa miso, pesa or paksiw. I'll try this one, tinolang bangus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK kay misis lahat ng sinabi mong dishes, maliban lang sa sinigang sa bayabas. Di n'ya type, mabaho daw yung bayabas. :-P

      Delete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.