Going Black at Black Soup Café

The image that usually comes to my mind when I hear the word “pasta” is a plateful of noodles soaked in tomato sauce. That is why it is an unusual event when I met a different kind of pasta at a restaurant along Maginhawa Street of Quezon City.

It was a drizzly day when an attorney friend brought my brother and me to Blacksoup Café + Artspace.
.
Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace

The restaurant occupies a small space, the size of a classroom, of the Maginhawa Building. What caught my attention, when I entered the restaurant, are the artworks that cover its walls. Well, the artworks at Blacksoup Café + Artspace are indeed eye catching.
.
Artworks in Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace

It seems like the theme of Blacksoup Café + Artspace that day was provocative nude art.
.
Artworks in Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace

I believe that artworks inside Blacksoup Café + Artspace changes. I saw different artworks posted in another blog from what we saw during our visit. This is good because regular patrons of this restaurant will have something new to look at when the artworks are changed.
.
Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace counter

Our attorney friend told us that the restaurant has a lot of activities like film screening, poetry and live music.  I experienced none of those activities because we went to Blacksoup Café + Artspace during daytime.

For our lunch, we ordered spicy balut (85 pesos) as appetizer and grilled saging na saba (50 pesos) for dessert. We ordered blacksoup pasta (175 pesos) for our main course because we want to know what black soup is.
.
Spicy balut at Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace
Spicy balut

The first to reach our table is the spicy balut. It tastes good and a little bit spicy. Bicolanos might get disappointed but those who have low tolerance on spicy foods will like it. My only comment for this is that the chick embryo is missing. It is not true balut if the chick is not present.

Grilled saging na saba also tastes good. The banana was perfectly grilled. It should be eaten while it is hot. Let butter melt and seep in the grilled bananas.
.
Grilled saging na saba of Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace
Grilled saging na saba

Blacksoup Pasta is as black night when it reached our table. The black color came from squid’s ink that was used as sauce. It was my first time to taste this kind of pasta and I like it. But, I still prefer normal pasta in tomato than this pasta of Blacksoup Café + Artspace. 
.
Blacksoup pasta of Blacksoup Cafe + Artspace
Blacksoup pasta

We enjoyed our lunch at Blacksoup Café + Artspace. The place is good for friends to meet and have a long chit chat. If you are looking a good place to eat at Maginhawa Street or at Philcoa Area, I suggest that you drop by Black Soup Café + Artspace.

---

Visit Ahab Reviews and Tips and read about my tips for PUPCET.

Visit the Blacksoup Café + Artspace Facebook page for more info on menu, contact details and address.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

3 comments:

  1. The owner maybe is really interested to arts. As i see from the picture, the pasta is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parang sisig yung spicy balut! I love spicy pero ayoko kumain nung sisiw hehehe! I love pasta na may squid ink! Nagluluto ako nyan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicxter

    Masarap talaga yang blacksoup pasta. :-)

    Anney

    Isa ka rin pala sa hindi type ang sisiw ng balut. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.