Day of the Palaspas

Day of Palaspas - Triumphant entry of Jess to Jerusalem

And when they drew near to Jerusalem and to Bethany, at the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, and said to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately on entering it you will find a colt tied, upon which no man has yet sat; loose it, and bring it. And if anyone say to you, 'What are you doing?' you shall say that the Lord has need of it, and immediately he will send it here.”

And they went their way and found a colt tied at a door outside in the street, and they loosed it. And some of the bystanders said to them, “What are you doing, loosing the colt?” But they answered them as Jesus had told them to do and they let them go.

And they brought the colt to Jesus, and threw their cloaks over it, and he sat upon it. And many spread their cloaks upon the road, while others were cutting branches from the trees, and strewing them on the road. And those who went before him, and those who followed, kept crying out saying, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the kingdom of our father David that comes! Hosanna in the highest!” And he went into Jerusalem, into the temple. And when he looked round upon all things, then, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve.

---

This is how Saint Mark the Evangelist related the triumphant entry of our Lord Jesus to Jerusalem (Mark 11:1-11). This what Catholics around the world commemorates this Palm Sunday.

Here in the Philippines, we commemorate Palm Sunday (Linggo ng Palaspas) by bringing palm leaves during Mass and have them blessed with Holy Water. The palaspas (palm frond) not only symbolizes the triumphant entry of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem but it also marks the start of Holy Week.

Palm Sunday is very important day for me. Personally, I view the palaspas as a symbol of Jesus' triumphant entry into my life. Like in the Gospel, Jesus entered into my life with joy and celebration on my part. However, like what was written in the Gospel, there are times that I betrayed Him and “crucified” Him days after His entry into my life.
.
Linggo ng Palaspas in the Philippines
(Source: MCSICAA)

Palm Sunday marks the start of Holy Week and I invite you to accompany me in my journey of Faith throughout this week. I can't give much insight and reflections during these holy days since I am still a noob in my Catholicism. I will do my best, however, to post insights from those who knows the Christian faith better than me.

Let us embark on a journey of Faith my friends. May we let Jesus enter our hearts like the way he entered Jerusalem.

---

Visit Ahab Reviews and Tips and read about a new item on Jollibee menu which is the Milo Blast.

Follow me in Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr and YouSayToo.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.