Wedding Gowns in Divisoria and the Bad Experience with Our Couturier

.
My Beloved Wife Lei saw a wedding gown during a wedding expo in World Trade Center. She immediately liked that wedding gown and wanted to wear it on the wedding day. Unfortunately, the gown was designed by Edward Teng and his price is way above our budget.

Online wedding forums directed us to Divisoria for affordable wedding couturiers. According to the forumers, there are plenty of affordable couturiers in Yangco Market, located between Tabora and Ylaya Streets.

We visited three places when we searched for a couturier for Lei's wedding gown, namely; 168 Shopping Mall, 999 Shopping Mall, and Yangco Market.

168 Shopping Mall
Divisoria 168 Shopping Mall

168 Shopping Mall, known for cheap items from China, has a wedding section at the 4th floor. The place have gowns, suits, barongs and attire for the whole wedding entourage. The shops have couturiers and they accept made to order wedding gowns.

We didn't hire any of the couturier in 168 Shopping Mall because their prices are more expensive as compared to other places. Despite of this, we keep on going back to 168 Shopping Mall to shop for other items like Lei's wedding shoes, the dresses for the flower girls, and her accessories.



My Beloved Wife fitting shoes in Divisoria

168 Shopping Mall is very crowded due to the crowd and the habit of shop owners to place their goods on the already narrow corridor. When shopping for wedding supplies in this mall, you should bring patience, patience, and more patience. Of course you should also bring your expertise in haggling.

999 Shopping Mall



Divisoria 999 Shopping Mall

999 Shopping Mall, located just beside 168 Shopping Mall, has a wedding section at the basement. We only talked to Stephen of Jazz's Bridal Boutique. His frank way of talking almost convinced us to hire him as our couturier. Lei, however, decided to look for a better deal in Yangco Market.



Bridal section in Divisoria 999 Shopping Mall

Tutuban Center once has a wedding section that got burned around two years ago. I think that shops from Tutuban transferred to 168 and 999 Shopping Malls.



Yangco Market

Our final destination is the Yangco Market, located between Tabora and Ylaya Streets. This place surprised me because I never expected that there is a whole street in Divisoria dedicated to suppliers for weddings, birthdays, and baptism. Tabora Street have souvenirs, invitation cards, and accessories. The  Yangco Market, beside of it, has rows upon rows of wedding gowns.



Rolls of cloth in Divisoria
Yangco Market is the bagsakan of various cloths. That's why mananahi from every part of Metro Manila visit this market. Those who want to make their own wedding gown can buy the cloths in this market. This market also has shops that sell lace.



Shopping for lace in Divisoria
Couturiers in Yangco Market are praised by many in online wedding forums because they can make quality wedding gown at affordable price. They can also sew based on the printed Internet image of the gown that the clients want.

We found our couturier in Yangco Market. Lei showed her Edward Teng's design and the couturier promised that she can make it. She offered 10,000 pesos for Lei's wedding gown. We also hired her to make bridesmaids' gowns, the dress of the flower girls, my suit, our fathers' barong, and our mothers' gown. She asked 5,000 down payment for the wedding gown.

The price is really cheap and so we expect that Lei's wedding gown will not be as grand as that of Edward Teng or other famous fashion designers. That mananahi, however, promised that she can make a good copy of the Edward Teng's wedding gown and the wedding gown will look fine. That mananahi broke her promise the wedding gown and other dresses were poorly made.



Lei's wedding gown.
After one month (and two fitting sessions) we picked-up Lei's wedding gown and my suit. I sensed that Lei didn't like her wedding gown. She had plenty of complaints about it. Even the gowns of the bridesmaids and mothers were poorly made. Unfortunately, the couturier avoided us and she suddenly stop answering my text messages.

I personally did not expect that the mananahi can copy Edward Teng's gown. My minimum expectation is that the gown will be of good quality because that's what the mananahi promised. What's worse is that the more simple dresses for our mothers and the bridesmaids were poorly made. We felt that the mananahi just tricked us with her sweet promises.

We were wrong in making full payment when we still have complaints for the wedding gown. We lose the leverage to force the couturier to fix her sloppy job. Lei couldn't do anything but fix the gowns by herself.

May our experience be a warning for those who are looking for couturiers in Yangco Market. Be very careful and don't be tricked by the low price. Low price usually means low quality.

Also, don't give the full payment when you're still not satisifed with your gown. Couturiers will not hide from you as long as the money is still in your hands.

What happened to us really sucks but we managed to rise from it. Lei's quick fix saved us from more tensions and stress. We also learned our lessons, especially when dealing with suppliers of any kind.

---

Do you have questions about Lei's wedding gown? Or do you want to know the name of this dubious wedding gown supplier? Place your questions and comments at the comment section below or you may send a private message to my Facebook page.
.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

51 comments:

  1. The gown looks good in the photo though. Yes, never pay in full till all's done and you're happy with it. These business people, not to be trusted. Even family and friends - you get so disappointed when you find that you have been shortchanged, cheated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. So disappointing. Their unprofessional acts added to our stress. How I wish that businesspeople give what's right to their customers.

      Delete
    2. Hi do you have contact number of wedding souvenir shop in tabura?

      Delete
    3. Sorry. I don't have any contact number of any shop in Tabora Street that sells wedding souvenirs.

      Delete
    4. Hello may I know what particular shop? Or if you can remember the "pasilyo" it was located then? We just visited Yangco Market last Sunday, I'm afraid this gonna also happen to us :(

      Delete
    5. Hello please can you site the shop or even the pasilio of your couturier? I'm afraid this gonna happen also to us, we just visited Yangco Market last sunday :(

      Delete
    6. Hi BrideinDream. I don't want to reveal the shop publicly. If you want, you can send me private message via my Facebook page or via email.

      Don't worry, I will keep everything confidential.

      Delete
  2. Hi,I find to search the wedding gown in 168,199 also yangco market because this coming January he was coming here Philippines my British boyfriend for our marry but I really disappointed because I can read here site what the wedding gown here these mall,oh my god why like that! said my boyfriend first come here Philippines the businesse keep on lie,like a makati intentional inn were pay the whole month,I stay in makati 7575 international inn I'm very disappointed because say the manager good room good staff good internet but first day in hotel I feel bad because the internet not working I find to ring up the information she said a little problem of internet connection but in a few days is the same situation,then a few weeks I get ill both with my British boyfriend I find to ring up again in the information I would ask if have a medicine she said no,even have ill my boyfriend he had to go to drug store for buy a medicine,after 3 days were both have fever no one in staff of hotel to ask if what happen to us,all staff of hotel were ignoring me and my boyfriend, after 3 weeks still no good the internet said my boyfriend we come to down stairs because no good the Internet inside the room but I surprised because the staff of hotel she got to off the internet then she's laughing to me and my boyfriend,4 days before check out I ring up the information for clean the room but 3 times to ring up no one to come my room for clean it,so I find get the bed sheet blanket then pillow cover then I bring to outside my room I surprised because they had camera in front of the door so see me in the camera I find to clean our room..this is my very bad experience in the makati 7575 international inn..

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many gown-makers in Divisoria with the same scheme. Either they avoid/leave you after giving them full payment or answer all your comments rudely so you can just shut up and leave.

    Just to warn brides-to-be who are planning to buy at Divisoria, in addition to avoiding the tailor on this blog, do whatever you can to avoid the stall Cherrick inside the Bridal gowns section of Tutuban Mall. It's located on the entrance, so just avoid it when you can.
    The owner's deceptive scheme is that she will wholeheartedly accept your designs with your downpayment and tell you that her tailors can do your designs for you. On the day of your fitting day (about two weeks delayed than what you first scheduled), you'll be surprised that she won't follow the design you gave. And when you ask for alteration, she will give many excuses not to accept any alteration on the designs. She has prepared all the answers for any comment that you'll give, even though she clearly didn't follow what you discussed before. You'll receive rude answers when you give your comments, and so you get your gown with minimal alterations (limited only on the size).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! When we went to Divisoria to canvass for wedding gowns, Cherrick was one of the stores where we asked. Si Che mismo ang nkausap namin and immediately I sensed something wrong about the way she talked. Buti nalang she's not one of our choices. Haha.

      Delete
  4. if you want a nice gown you can visit Burdahand in Lumban Laguna philippines Last town of Laguna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lumban Laguna is the Embroidery Capital of Laguna. There are array of designers along the way from Pagsanjan to Lumban.

      But let me just correct, LUMBAN is not the last town of Laguna. As a matter of fact, its far pa rin from the last town. After Lumban, there is Kalayaan (known as Longos), Paete, Pakil, Pangil, Siniloan, Famy, Sta. Maria :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for the info Jan.

      Delete
  5. Same unpleasant experience in divisoria, I bought a gown and i wast very happy with it. Also an Edward Teng design similar to what Jodi Sta Maria wore on her wedding with Pampi Lacson. So, since we are happy with our experience we kept on buying barong from her everytime we need one. Apparently i am attending a wedding as a bridesmaid and ask her to make the gown, much to my dismay, it was to far from the design i wanted and there's lot of alteration that needs to be done. Thanks to me i have a little knowledge in stitching couse it takes a lot of time and money to keep on coming back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Other grooms and brides needed to read your story so that they'll be aware when dealing with couturier in Divisoria.

      Delete
  6. Nagkaroon din ako ng bad experience, No. 1 tip, wag mo sasabihin yung totoong date ng event. Nagpagawa din ako for JS prom, nagmeet din kami for two fittings. Nagset sila ng date para kuhain yung gown pero palaging nauudlot, hanggang sa nakipagmeet siya sa amin at binigay yung gown. Wala na kong chance isukat pa yung gown kasi sa jollibee kami nagkita. Pag uwi ko, sobrang daming mali at mali mali pa yung sukat. Naghanap ulit kami ng mananahi at pinagawa ulit yung damit in the morning before the event. I'm really thankful sa mananahi na tumulong sakin. Madami na silang mga paraan para no choice na yung mamimili sa huli. Kaya kung bibili ng gown, mas ok yung gawa na . If magpapagawa ka, better kung sa kakilala mo na.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happened to you is horrible. Thank you for sharing your experience.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad i was able to read your stories here. Kay Cecilio Abad na lang talaga ako magpapatahi, pricey but really a good quality. Atsaka mas okay ng maselan ang mananahi atleast alam mong seryoso siya sa craft nya. :)

      Delete
  7. We just visited the top floor of 168 Mall and saw a lot of great design of gowns. The wedding gown is just a one-time wear piece of clothing however it should fit perfectly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. Dapat talagang perfectly ang fir ng wedding gown para naman maging masaya yung bride lalo na sa special moment nýa.

      Delete
  8. A flashback from my wedding though we did not look for a couturier, we only rented the gowns from bridal down to the brides maid, flowers girls, etc..., I know we will encounter such a scenario like this if we allow ourselves to look for a person to do everything out of a tight budget.

    Thanks God, for P10,000 package...gowns and barongs are in good shape and sizes just fit for the person wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you did is good. Very practical. I have friend who is searching for gowns to be borrowed or rented. She think that it's better to rent a wedding gown so she will not be stuck with it forever.

      Delete
    2. would you mind sharing to us where you were able to rent wedding,entourage gowns?

      Delete
  9. That's awful service. You are right, never pay in full until you get what you want in the gown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the lesson that we learned the very hard way.

      Delete
  10. Girls really like a well designed wedding gown to wear in their special day. I must say it's a good find and I am sure she will be happy wearing it. And what about these numbers on the name of the malls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mall-owners think those are lucky numbers. Maybe we can use those for lotto.

      Delete
    2. hi i would like to ask how much is the cheapest gown that edward teng offered?

      Delete
    3. I suggest that you visit Edward Teng's website for more info.

      Delete
  11. it must be wonderful to visit the yangco market, to find dofferemt kinds of fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. Yangco is the best place to buy cloth and fabric.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear that. But I'm glad Lei was able to salvage the gown and the dresses. May this serve as a lesson to everyone. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got married last 2010 and my wedding gown and entourage gowns where made in Divisoria by Yolly's Bridal Shop... I don't have any complaints because it was well-made.
    So I came back to Divisoria for my sisters wedding. BUT TOO BAD... Ate Yolly closed down her shop and retire.

    So I search the net and found Michelle Bridal Gallery on Facebook ... I checked their post... I thought OK naman yung gawa nila so I flew to Manila last March and ordered the entourage gowns. I brought with me, pics of the gowns we like to be replicated and the entourage measurements. I even choosed the fabrics. We agreed on the prices and I gave her 50% DP, the remaining will be paid upon completion. After a lot of text messages... calls... and follow ups... inaway namin po.

    She managed to finish the gowns, 10 days before the wedding date... and had it shipped to us. When I saw the gowns.... I was so mad because it was poorly made. Mine doesn't even fit me... and the design was way off from the pics I gave her... I have it fixed so I have something to wear... on May 18th.

    Next time I'll be more careful...



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-(

      Your story is really saddening. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope your comment help other people scouting for a bridal shop in Divisoria.

      Delete
  14. Oh sad to hear that. But in my own experience I already brought my wedding gown and souvenirs in tabora market and the gown is also cheaper I brought it last Oct 2015 and I wore it Nov 2015 is a ready made gown but until now 2017 the gown is still OK and in a good condition and looks like new. Even the souvenirs is cheapest price but until now the giveaways still ok. I think you need to canvas first, before to commit to that store. Because there's a lot of wedding shop in divisoria you need some time and effort to look a good shop before you decide. This is based on my experience and I am happy for my gown. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. We canvassed first but we chose the wrong supplier. Very unfortunate of us.

      Delete
  15. I can fee all of your predicament guys... each of us wants to have a perfect fit on a very special day... As a bride, I wanted to be the prettiest of them all! I guess its all about dignity not money... if anyone wants a Couturier even a well known.. I know someone that can help... you can check his FBpage "Mikee Chan Fashion Studio" siya po ung taong di pera ang goal but the smile he can put on your face once you've seen his work... been tested for years... its just an average price for a good quality! Hope you guys a great day! God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the tip. I hope that other brides and grooms read this.

      Delete
  16. You got what you paid for haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, thats DIVISORIA in a nutshell. We can find thousands of GREAT DEALS but a thousand more of RISKY BUSINESS TRADES. I buy stuffs from divi but dont feel bad if i get ripped off. It is what it is. Pick your poison lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's true everywhere. Not only in Divisoria. There are plenty of good vendors and there are manloloko type of vendors.

      Delete
  18. I bought my wedding gown in Divisoria. It was an off-the-rack design that I loved the first time I saw it. I think with gowns in Divisoria, it's best to pick the off-the-rack ones than have them do a gown from a design on a magazine. A couturier or designer is the go-to for bespoke gowns, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. And I hope that future readers of this blog post will consider your suggestion.

      Delete
  19. Hi everyone! I just want to share my own experience. I bought my wedding dress at Baclaran. It was in November of last year. The dress was on display. I tried it on and it was my perfect fit. Almost all of the dress fit me, so I didn't really had to find someone to make my dress. The dress was 5,500. It came with a Barong (for my groom),veil, cord, 2 pillows, gold coins, and garter. They were all really nice to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. Can you share the name of the shop para malaman naman ng ibang readers?

      Thanks

      Delete
  20. I think the lesson here is to purchase a gown that is within your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad to see this as I'm planning to buy my wedding gown there! Do you have the name of the couturier? Because two of my friends bought their gowns there and they're really gorgeous for a price that's much friendlier to the budget compared to others. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the name of that couturier. Send me PM and I will tell you the name. Good for your friends. I guess minalas lang talaga kami sa napili naming mananahi.

      Delete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.