For PhilPost 1st National Letter Writing Day: Showing Off My Stamp Collection

I was at SM – Bacoor last weekend where I was amazed by an exhibit located at the lower ground floor. It featured the history of the postal service in the Philippines and, of course, letter writing. The best part of the exhibit is PhilPost’s collection of stamps.

Couple looking at the PhilPost Sulat Mulat exhibit
PhilPost's stamp collection on display.

I also learned a lot about the history of postal services in the country. The Philippine Postal Corporation (PhilPost or PhlPost) points to the year 1767, when the Spanish Colonial Government established the post office in Manila, as its foundation date.

PhilPost milestones
Milestones of postal service in the Philippines.

What I saw in SM – Bacoor is the Sulat Mulat Campaign exhibit of the PhilPost. It is a part of the 1st National Letter Writing Day on October 09.

PhilPost’s 1st National Letter Writing Day was done to promote letter writing and postal services in the Philippines. This is a good move for PhilPost since letter writing is now ignored by most people, especially the younger generations.

During my grade school days, letter writing is one of the things that we should learn. We are taught about the parts of the letter. Our teacher also taught us how to start and end a letter. We were even tasked to send our letter by mail!

I’m not sure if letter writing is still being taught in schools.

PhilPost exhibit - parts of a stamp

What I enjoyed is the display about the parts of a stamp. I didn’t know that this small piece of paper have parts.

Many stamps produced by PhilPost were on display. Many of them feature plants and animals. Of course, heroes and notable people in Philippine history were also featured in the PhilPost exhibit. My favorite, however, are the stamps featuring the canonization of Saint Pedro Calungsod and the beatification of Pope John Paul II.

PhilPost Stamp for Beatification of Pope John Paul 2

I am not a philatelist nor an avid stamp collector but I had some stamps that I collected over the years. Here are some of them:

Old stamps issued by PhilPost
Butterflies (2006), special stamp for APO Philatelic Society (1950) and KKK.

PhilPost stamps featuring butterflies and flowers are the most common in my collection. Such stamps are my least favorite because I don't like the design.

I also have stamps featuring some notable persons in Philippine history. I think that these kinds of PhilPost stamps are also common.

Philippine heroes stamp of PhilPost
Left to right from top to bottom, PhilPost stamps featuring the first stamp issued in the Philippines, Sultan Kudarat, Pio Valenzuela, Rafael Palma, Wenceslao Vinzons, Gregorio del Pilar, Jose Rizal and Ninoy Aquino.

My favorite kinds of stamps are those featuring churches in the Philippines. Too bad that I only have three such stamps.

Philpost stamps of churches
Clockwise from upper left, Morong Church, San Agustin Church and Basilica of Taal.

All three stamps were issued in 1975. Of the three churches, I only managed to visit San Agustin Church, which is located in Intramuros. I hope to visit the other two churches in the near future.

Aside from stamps issued by PhilPost, I also have stamps that originated from other countries. Here some of them:

Stamps from other countries
Stamps from Japan, India, Indonesia, USA, Korea, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand.


I also have stamps from New Zealand and Canada but I didn't included it here.

Aside from the common stamps and old envelopes, another gem in my collection is an envelope of a telegram. I was amazed when I found it because it is rare to see telegram envelopes these days.

Telegram envelope


Before the advent of telephone, the telegram served as the fastest mean of sending messages to faraway places. I heard from my parents that it is expensive to send a telegram so people try to be as brief as possible. Telegram was usually used for urgent messages.

Stamps are small pieces of paper but it is packed with history. That's why I collect stamps and also the envelopes where they are attached.

It is good that PhilPost is active in promoting letter writing. Such art is somewhat lost to the youth of today. They prefer fast paced communication that they usually forget to think before they send their messages. I believe that letter writing promotes thinking because it requires well constructed sentences.

Letter writing and postal service will not return to their former glory. What I hope that PhilPost's National Letter Writing Day will achieve, at least, is the promotion message composition that was well thought of and patiently composed.

So, to my kababayans, happy National Letter Writing Day!

PhilPost 1st National Letter Writing Day poster


For more information about the 1st National Letter Writing Day, please visit Sulat Mulat Facebook page and the PhilPost website.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

2 comments:

  1. I used to collect stamps before when I was still in my elementary school years. I did that along with sticker collection, which I actually enjoyed a little more than the former so I have stamp collecting up eventually. Hehehe!

    It's been ages since I've received a personal letter through the mail (junk mail does not count a.) And I've been hearing about the plight of the post office in saying that they might (more probably) be replaced already because of the technological advances we have now. I wouldn't be surprised talaga. I'm fine with a snail mail letter but what reallt gets my goat is the notorious corruption. If only because of that, I won't be sad to see them go ba (sorry, rant ba. Pero I've been swindled by these "public officials" for too many times already. *sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad that you experienced horrible things because of corrupt PhilPost employees. Sana naman malinis na nila ang sistema para maka-move forward yung PhilPost. Hindi naman mawawala ang pagpapadala ng sulat at parcels kasi lakas ng negosyo ng LBC at JRS Express. Pwede naman gawin ng PhilPost yung ginagawa ng mga kumpanyang yun. Yun nga lang mukhang nawalan ng tiwala yung mga tao sa PhilPost.

      Delete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.