Visita Iglesia 2015: Our Lady of the Abandoned Church (Sta. Ana, Manila)

There is this church in Manila that I wanted to see again. I could say that “I fell in love” with it the first time I saw it. You could say that it was love at first sight.

I rediscovered this church only this year (after two years of searching for it) when I passed through the district of Sta. Ana for a meeting. The church that I was talking about is the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados or officially called as the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned and more popularly known as the Sta. Ana Church.  

National Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned in Santa Ana, Manila

The National Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned is located along [ins street] in Sta. Ana District of Manila. It is just few meters away from Sta. Ana Hospital. Commuters can easily reach it by riding the “Sta. Ana Tulay”-bound jeepneys at Pedro Gil – Taft Avenues.

[ins map]

The district of Sta. Ana was a settlement known as Namayan which was ruled by the Muslim datu, Lakan Tagkan. His domain included the districts of Paco and Pandacan in Manila, Makati, Mandaluyong, and Pasay. Franciscan missionaries came to the area and ask the natives the name of the place. And the answer that they received was “sapa”, which is a Tagalog word for river. The missionaries dedicated the place to Santa Ana, the mother of the Virgin Mary, and they renamed the place as “Sta. Ana de Sapa”.1

Entrance to Santa Ana Church, Manila

Sta. Ana de Sapa was established by Franciscan missionaries in 1578. It is the first settlement that they established outside of Manila or more particularly outside of Intramuros.

Santa Ana Church under renovation

The church is being renovated during my last visit. Scaffolds and nets blocked the view of the church’s façade that’s why I didn’t get a good photo of it.

Facade of Santa Ana Church, Manila

I’m not complaining even though I didn’t have a good photo because the renovation works are important and urgent since old churches like Sta. Ana Church are threatened by earthquakes. The church is too important to our heritage and it should be protected from deterioration.

Old bell tower of Santa Ana Church, Manila

The construction of Sta. Ana Church started with the laying of cornerstone on September 12, 1720 by Francisco dela Cuesta, who was the Archbishop of Manila and acting Governor General of the Philippines.2

Santa Ana Church, Manila

Sta. Ana Church retained its beautiful altar. I’m not sure though if it is the original altar.

Altar of Santa Ana Church, Manila

The altar displays the images of St. Michael the Archangel, Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Dominic (the founder of the Dominican Order), Sta. Ana, St. John the Baptist, St. John the Evangelist, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Peter Alcantara, St. Bonaventure, St. Bernardine of Siena, and St. Clare.3

Santa Ana Church, as the name suggests, has St. Anne as the patroness. She is mother of the Virgin Mary and also the patron saint of widows, waywards, and happy marriage. However, she was replaced by Our Lady of the Abandoned as the patron saint of Sta. Ana Church in 1720.

Our Lady of the Abandoned in Santa Ana Church, Manila


The image of Our Lady of the Abandoned standing at the center of the altar was just a replica touched to the original in the metropolitan church in Valencia, Spain. The replica was brought to the Philippines in 1720 by Father Vicente Ingles. Since then, Sta. Ana Church became the center of pilgrimage and devotion to Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados.3

Our Lady of the Abandoned in Santa Ana Church, Manila

There was a story that Manila Archbishop Pedro de la Santisima Trinidad Martinez Y Arizola is so devoted to Our Lady of the Abandoned that he willed his heart to buried in the church of Santa Ana when he died. His wish was obeyed and now his heart is said to be encased in metal and buried under the altar.3

Another story of devotion is that of Manila Archbishop Francisco dela Cuesta who offered his scepter, which is the symbol of his governorship of the Philippines. His act can be interpreted as a way of giving the whole country under the care of Our Lady of the Abandoned. The crystal scepter is still preserved inside the church.3

Inside Santa Ana Church, Manila

I spent some time praying inside Sta. Ana Church. What I like with this church is the relative silence in the place. The church is not too busy unlike the Quiapo Church and Baclaran Church so I was able to pray in silence.

Dome of Santa Ana Church, Manila

The church interior is simple. There’s no intricate designs, there’s no large painting on the ceiling. The only noticeable artwork inside the church, aside from the altar, is the painting on the side wall.

Painting in Santa Ana Church, Manila

I don’t know what event is portrayed by the painting. My only guess is that it’s related to an apparition by the Virgin Mary.

There are two peculiar things that I noticed inside Sta. Ana Church. One are the bats that inhabit the church and the other are the grave markers on the floor.

Grave marker in Santa Ana Church, Manila

Having a grave inside the church is not actually weird because many old churches in the Philippines have it. Another church that also served as grave is the San Agustin Church located inside Intramuros.

Baptismal font in Santa Ana Church, Manila

Aside from being the center of faith and one of the remaining Spanish heritage in Manila, Sta. Ana Church also served as a time capsule because many pre-Spanish artifacts were unearthed in 1966 by archeologists from the National Museum.1

Archeological diggings in Santa Ana Church, Manila
Archaeological diggings at Sta. Ana Church (Source: Sta. Ana Church website)

The oldest artifact excavated at Sta. Ana Church is a blue and white Chinese bowl with floral designs, which dates back to 11th Century. Other artifacts are potteries and Chinese artifacts which date back to the 12th and 13th Centuries.1

As a blogger and Spanish heritage fan, I can say that my visit to Sta. Ana Church is a sort of “mission accomplished”. It’s beautiful altar, it’s classic structure, and it’s archeological importance made my time in this church as well spent.

---

Information contained in this post were obtained from the following sources:

2. Historical marker on the wall of Sta. Ana Church
3. Postings on the bulletin board of Sta. Ana Church
.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

12 comments:

  1. I am originally from Santa Ana and I recall the altar as it since attending mass at that church when I was young. When I became an Opus Dei member, I attend mass everyday in this church. The ashes of my fave grandma is housed in this church and when I go back, I do visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Taga-Santa Ana ka pala. :-)

      Good for your lola that her remain is in this church.

      Delete
  2. I grew up in Sta. Ana and the altar had retained its glory and beauty. I did not know much of its history but the church was my refuge as I attend mass everyday when I became an avid member of Opus Dei. It is a different story now since the Catholic church is way, way far from my house in here. Thanks for this post, very nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jonathan. Happy to know that a blogger friend knows this church personally. :-)

      I'm happy to know that the altar of Santa Church remained the same for many years. I hope that it continue to do so for many centuries to come.

      Delete
  3. There's a certain appeal and mysterious effect in old churches. Like this one. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct. Old churches has an atmosphere that is more attuned to worship of God than the modern-style churches that actually looks like a conference hall than a church.

      Delete
  4. By the way, you won the contest in my blog. Contacted you via FB message :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! Thank you very much. I will reply to message once I go online in Facebook.

      Delete
  5. That is so so so beautiful! I wish we had one like that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my wish too. I wish that more Catholic churches be built in Malaysia (which means that I also wish that Malays become Christians).

      Delete
  6. I'm a student from PUP and I'm actually doing a documentation about the church for my project and post on youtube as soon as it is done its really worth my visit such wondrous history

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.