Tips on Taking UPCAT, ACET, DLSUCET and Other College Entrance Exams

It is just the start of the school year and I observed my youngest brother busy preparing some documents. When I asked him what’s he is so busy about, he said that he is preparing his application for the UPCAT or the University of the Philippines College Admissions Test.

Though, still early, now is the time for senior year high school students to prepare for college. Like what some people say, “it is never early to prepare.” Here are some of my tips for those who are planning to take the UPCAT and other college entrance exams.

1. Study in Group.


About seven years ago, in my senior year in high school, all of my classmates decided to take the UPCAT. Because of that, we decided to prepare for the exam as a whole class. After our shift in school, we had a session to study for the exams. We did this to help each other, especially those who are being left behind. We also asked our teachers to help us in our study. Studying in a group is quite helpful because you will get ideas from your classmates. You also get the chance to share what you know. Sharing your knowledge is a great way of refreshing your mind on the topics that you already learned. I find teaching my fellow classmates, even during my college years, as a good way to review for the exams.

2. Review Daily.


There is saying that says “practice makes things perfect.” This saying is also applicable to reviewing for the exams. Studying everyday and solving math problems is the best way to hone your self so that answering them is easy during the exams. I study everyday after finishing all my assignments to prepare me for the UPCAT. It is helpful because the interference from my classmates is gone. I can concentrate on answering questions for the exam.

Practicing answering the sample questions daily is also a great way to develop a habit of studying daily. This habit is very important once you entered college.

3. Use Review Materials


Review books and pamphlets that are available in the bookstore were helpful for me in reviewing for the UPCAT. The authors of these books already have an insight on what types of exams and questions are being asked for college entrance exams like UPCAT. These insights are valuable so that you will not be surprised during the exams. Answering questions using the review books are the best way to gauge yourself how prepared you are for the exam.

4. Develop a Good Studying Habit.


All of the previous tips I mentioned are really helpful for you to pass college entrance exams. However, those tips rest on the attitude of the student. If you prefer to watch TV or play game rather than studying, then you have a big problem there. You should balance your time for study and your time for recreation. I, for one, devoted more time for review for UPCAT when I discovered that I have more grounds to cover. Having a good studying habit while reviewing for college entrance exams is a good way of developing good studying habit that you will need during your college years.

The tips I gave here are quite helpful for me when I am studying for UPCAT seven years ago. I hope that my tips help you too. If you have more idea or studying tips, then please it with us by leaving a comment.

---

Visit Cyber Imprints and read my maiden post, “Some Truths About Digital Footprints.”

Follow me in Facebook and Twitter.

Leave a comment with Facebook or regular comment box below.

33 comments:

  1. i definitely agree ish...

    I used to make my own reviewer too and have fun reviewing by making some games like raffle draw( i draw rnadom question and answer it) and more..
    a group study is very effective too.. coz all of you will be sharing your ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would like to pass the p.u.p entrance exam this feb 17 2013. . . . and this tips is effective :)

      Delete
    2. MEE TOO. I HOPE MAKAKUHA AKO NG INFO TUNGKOL SA KUNG ANO PINAPA-EXAM.

      Delete
  2. by the way ish, My song to remember blog is celebrating its 2nd year blogoversary and the listing of my top 50 song starts today, hope you can visit me there and share your opinion.
    http://scene2remember.blogspot.com
    thanks and have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. UP students are smart. you must be. good tips for students.
    blogging is my way of sharing my knowledge to my readers and in the same way learning from them through reading their good and "not good" comments. but anyway everyone is entitled to his opinion. i respect for that.
    have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tama! dont forget to pray hard. really hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hindi po ba talaga pwedeng mag erol kapag may failed at unathorized withdrwals ?

      Delete
    2. droped subjects .

      Delete
    3. Pwede ka namang mag-enrol kung meron kang failed subject or anuthorized withdrawals? Pero subject yung approval ng enrolment mo sa gusto mong pasukan na paaralan.

      Delete
  5. i've taken upcat last 2006 kea lang di umabot ung grade ko...grrr...2.3 quota sa diliman di po ba???2.358 nakuha ko kainis...sabi ng mga classmates ko dapat daw ang ginawa kong combination sa mga choices sa school is diliman and los baƱos instead of diliman and manila...true po ba un??nagenrol kasi sila sa study center kaya naturuan sila ng tips...ako sariling sikap lang...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Blue:

    Talaga? May ganyang style ka pala ng pagre review. Yup, naging effective sa akin ang group review. Pero bago muna ako sumbak sa isang group review ay sinisiguro ko muna na nakapag review ako ng sarili ko lang.

    Ay, birthday ba n'ya? Sige, dadalaw ako.

    @Ate Faye:

    Napapaisip tuloy ako kung meron akong nasabing not good comment sa blog ko. Sana po wala. Hope you are having a fine day.

    @Ray:

    I agree. Praying should be the first thing to do when you are studying. Hindi tayo magtatagumpay sa ating buhay kung hindi natin ina-acknowledge ang power Niya. Si God lang ang maasahan natin sa lahat ng oras.

    @Nicxter:

    Hmmm...ok rin naman 'yung UP Manila at Diliman na combination. Basta ang gawin mong first choice ay yung UP Manila dahil mas mataas ang grade quota doon kesa sa Diliman. Kung hindi ka nakalusot sa Diliman eh pwede ka pa ring mag-Los Banos kahit wala 'yun sa choice mo. Pasok naman 'yung grade mo eh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tips. Make sure you follow...and yes, I agree with Ray. Pray, always pray the He may open your mind, your eyes and your ears...and guide you in your studying and in the exams... Faith helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, my friend. God is the source of all knowledge that is why we should seek his help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oo nga daw pasok pa rin grade ko...kelangan pala ganun ung choices...di ko na tinuloy magpareconsider kasi ala naman ako gustong course sa manila at los baƱos...^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tama ka Nicxter. Kung wala doon ang gusto mo eh hindi ka talaga dapat tumuloy. You did the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here are the upcat tips we have compiled in our academic site. We already have 50+ articles about upcat here as well as tips for other college entrance exams such as ACET, DLSUCET, USTET, etc. http://academic-clinic.com/category/upcat-exam-tips/ Hope this helps!^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Acadclinic:

    Thanks for sharing this. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. ilamg items po ba ang pupcet?

    ReplyDelete

  14. sLAmat Po sa mGa iNFormatIon aNd tiPs n iBinigay nIO.

    nGayoN, mAgkkaROon n akO nG iDea kUng anu pO b dapAt ang akIng mga iiRerevIew nGayOn ksI la pO tlaga idea nuN eh.


    sLAmaT Po tlaga.. exAm kO n Po ksi sa FEB. 17,2013





    gOOd lUck s aKin aT s lHat pa Ng mGa mag-eexAm. hehe



    God bLess Us :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good day Sir Ahab! Thank you for the tips with lots of encouragement. :) I am also a UP taker but unfortunately, I was not able to pass it. I hope that in the upcoming PUPCET next year, I could pass it. Thank you again and God bless! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello po sa inyong lahat.. magtatake po kaac ako ng entrance sa PUP tanung ko lng po kung anong klaseng GENERAL INFORMATION ang kadalasang lumalabas sa test kung about sa pilipinas lng or pati po uing IBANG BANSA ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasensya nasa late reply. Maraming pwedeng itanong sa General Information. Pero madalas kasali ang mga current events, tulad ng mga maiinit naisyu ngayon. Mga balita sa Pilipinas at sa ibang bansaay pwede ding masali.

      Delete
  17. i am taking up the entrance examination this coming january 25, 2014 at 8:00 and until now im still nervous if i can pass the PUPCET ..

    please give me some tips on what is mostly the topic in math and english .. thank you :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello po. I'm also planning to take the PUPCET, pero may question lang po ako. One of the qualifications po kasi for taking PUPCET is to have an average of 82 or higher sa five subject ares (Mathematics,English,Filipino,Science,Araling Panlipunan) Yung tinutukoy po ba diyan is from 1st year high school ka until 3rd yr., or yung ngayong fourth year ka po? Hope you response asap po. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me too.im also taking the pupcet..please give me samples na exam sa pupcet ...tnx po..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I don't have sample exams for PUPCET.

      Delete
    2. do you have a reviewer for the pupcet ?

      Delete
    3. I don't have a reviewer for PUPCET, Chicken.

      Delete
  20. ano po ba ang requirements sa transferee. Na gustong mag aral sa pup.. and can i get test permit manually. Thank

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much welcome. However, I reserve the right to delete comments that contains spam.

Also drop by my other blog: Ahab Reviews and Tips - my tips and reviews blog.